Our Vitamin B5 - Calpan Products
Vitamin B5, also known as Calpan, is a water-soluble B-complex vitamin. BASF, one of the biggest vitamins producer, offers a wide product range of high quality B vitamins and other premium health ingredients.
In general, the malnourished elderly population is at significantly greater risk of vitamin B5 deficiency. Signs of deficiency have been reported to include irritability and restlessness, fatigue, apathy, depression, insomnia, gastrointestinal complaints, neurological symptoms, paresthesia in extremities, deterioration of the skin, and a weakened immune function. Adequate intake of vitamin B5 is essential for healthy living: Sustain mental performance, bodytissues, and energy-yielding metabolism with our high quality vitamin B5.
We offer you a forward-thinking solution: Vitamin B5, or calcium-D-pantothenate, plays an especially important role in later stages of life.
Benefits of BASF’s vitamin B5
- We provide vitamin B5 products with excellent flowability and dispersability to save time and energy with efficient production
- We meet consumer expectations with a pure end-product of exceptionally high quality
- We have the experience and expertise: BASF’s Calpan has been used for several decades in the dietary supplement and food industries
- We complement consumer lifestyle and health demands: This product is suitable for vegetarians and is kosher and halal certificated
Sources of vitamin B5
Vitamin B5 occurs naturally in several foods, e.g. lean meat, nuts, milk and fish.
What makes BASF’s vitamin B5 unique
BASF’s vitamin B5, or Calcium-D-pantothenate, has now been used for several decades in the dietary supplement and food industries. We have the necessary know-how and experience to provide our customers with a high quality product featuring excellent flowability and dispersability to exceed expectations. The product is suitable for vegetarians and is kosher and halal certificated to accommodate lifestyle, nutritional, and application demands.
We offer flexible, diverse applications in the dietary supplement, food, beverage and infant nutrition industries to suit customer needs. Calcium D-pantothenate is best used in solid dosage forms (tablets, sugar-coated tablets, effervescent tablets, film-coated tablets, chewable tablets, and capsules). The product is also hygroscopic and suitable for direct compression. For liquid and semi-solid dosage forms, particularly when used in combination with other vitamins, D-panthenol (provitamin B5) is preferable to Calcium D-pantothenate because of its superior stability.
Calcium-D-pantothenate can be added to a number of food products, e.g. products for babies and small children, food products for athletes, low-calorie and calorie-reduced foods, vitamin-fortified juices, etc.
Health Benefits of vitamin B5
Calcium-D-pantothenate is used for prevention and treatment of D-pantothenic acid deficiency (e.g. by means of multivitamins or B-complex preparations). Calpan is practical for preventing pantothenic acid deficiency as well as meeting particular nutritional requirements.
Vitamin B5 can contribute to
- normal energy-yielding metabolism
- reduction of tiredness and fatigue
- normal mental performance
- normal synthesis and metabolism of steroid hormones, vitamin D and some neurotransmitters
With regard to energy-yielding metabolism, pantothenic acid is involved in various key reactions of the amino acid, fat, and carbohydrate metabolisms, and in the synthesis of cholesterol, which is used for the formation of steroid hormones. The essential role pantothenic acid plays in metabolism is confirmed by the fact that coenzyme A is present in all types of tissue.
As a part of co-enzyme A, pantothenic acids are important for the growth and normal function of body tissue. More specifically, they protect the mucous membranes from infection and optimize metabolic processes of the skin and epithelial tissue. They contribute to regenerative processes of the skin, such as wound healing and epithelization. They are also involved in stimulating hair growth and pigmentation.
Vitamin B5 Deficiency
Vitamin B5 deficiency is usually accompanied by a deficiency of other B-complex vitamins. Characteristic pantothenic acid deficiency symptoms can only be induced experimentally after administration of the pantothenic acid antagonist methyl pantothenic acid. Lack of pantothenic acid can manifest itself in the following symptoms:
- Impaired function of the adrenal gland (insufficiency and atrophy of the adrenal cortex)
- Symptoms of a dysfunctional nervous system (disturbed peripheral sensitivity, loss of coordination, degeneration of central/peripheral nerve paths)
- Deterioration of skin (dermatitis), hair, and nails
- Gastrointestinal disorders (nausea, vomiting, motility disorders)
- Reproductive disorders
- Stunted growth or loss of weight
- Degeneration of the liver cells (fat infiltration), reduced immune defense/formation of antibodies (increased susceptibility to infections)
Disclaimer: The data contained in this publication are based on our current knowledge and experience. In view of the many factors that may affect processing and application of our product, these data do not relieve processors from carrying out their own investigations and tests; neither do these data imply any guarantee of certain properties, nor the suitability of the product for a specific purpose. Any descriptions, drawings, photographs, data, proportions, weights, etc. given herein may change without prior information and do not constitute the agreed contractual quality of the product. It is the responsibility of the recipient of our products to ensure that any proprietary rights and existing laws and legislations are observed.
Discover our Product Range
|Calcium-D-Pantothenate||Information & Certificates|