Going green with Divergan® RS
Create exquisite tasting, crystal clear wines, beers, and other beverages with Divergan®
There is a simple and clear answer to turbidities: BASF’s Divergan® range! Special Divergan® types help you to create beverages with reduced polyphenol and haze. Easily. Efficiently. Economically.
BASF offers a wide range of products for filtration and stabilization of beer, wine and other beverages: Create products that fulfill all of your customers’ demands for a crystal clear beverage.
Indirect emissions (Scope 3), resulting from upstream processes along the value chain make up the largest share of total emissions for breweries. These emissions are largely from packaging and processing including purchased raw materials from suppliers. Through buying Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) we have now been able to considerably reduce the product carbon footprint of Divergan® RS: The use of green electricity reduces the CO2 equivalents (CO2e) for Divergan® RS by 17%.
Therewith, we support our customers in meeting their CO2 emission reduction targets while we are one step further on our own way to net zero 2050.
What makes BASF’s Divergan® unique?
Divergan® is BASF’s standard excipient for the filtration and stabilization of beer and wine. Even after filtration, clear beverages contain dissolved phenolic compounds and proteins that, after a relatively short time, form complexes that subsequently lead to turbidity. Divergan® removes phenolic compounds, and even heavy metal ions, without altering the character of your beer or wine. BASF produces Divergan® by popcorn polymerization of PVP. It is insoluble in water, acids, bases, and organic solvents.
BASF offers you traditional German brewing expertise combined with knowledge and competence in filtration and stabilization. The result: improved clarity and stability, great appearance, pure taste, and a long shelf life.
Benefits of Divergan®
- We facilitate production of high quality beer over a longer shelf life. Our solution helps deliver consistent quality. Breweries around the globe use Divergan® as a beer stabilizer to ensure that their beer has the same taste and constant quality everywhere.
- We provide with Divergan® a solution for constant colloidal stability, especially in regions subject to climate extremes.
- We provide with our Divergan® the chance for a clean label. Divergan® is completely separated from the beer during filtration. Thus, Divergan® is not an additive and does not have to be declared on the label.
- We have with more than 150 years of history in the human nutrition industry an exceptional experience in producing, handling, and applying Divergan® to many applications.
While our major applications are beer and wine, we offer further applications such as fruit juice and tea. Depending on the manufacturing conditions, coarse or fine grain products are obtained, which differ in their application properties. Divergan® is available as coarse Divergan® RS for beer, and as fine Divergan F® for beer and wine. Special Divergan® types for single and multiple use are available. Choose from a diverse range of products tailored to your application needs.
The single use solution: Divergan® F
- Highly Selective: Specifically adsorbs phenolic compounds in beer & wine
- Easy to handle, no lumping
- Well-defined particle size distribution, homogenous PVPP-structure
- Designed and developed for pure taste and stability of beverages
- Provides longer shelf life by preventing haze
- Application in existing filter lines possible with high efficiency, even at low dosages.
- Continuous dosage in addition to the filter aids (e.g. kieselguhr)
- Combination with filter aids and further stabilizing agents possible
- Insoluble in all common solvents, and can therefore be completely and readily removed after use
- To be produced in 2024 with Renewable Energy Certificates to use green electricity resulting in a 17% lower PCF
Sustainable and Regenerable: Divergan® RS
- Cost-efficient with low loss rates: where the size of the brewery is appropriate, the instillation of a regeneration plan is worthwhile
- Highly Selective: Specifically adsorbs phenolic compounds in beer
- Easy to handle, sustainable product intended for re-use
- No filter clogging and high permeability, reduced swelling volume
- High mechanical stability
- Insoluble in all common solvents, and can therefore be completely separated from the beer by filtration
- Produced with Renewable Energy Certificates to use green electricity resulting in a 17% lower PCF
We give our customers a competitive edge with the following advantages:
- A unique, patented production process
- An eco-efficient, single-use and regenerable solution that’s easy and safe to handle and dispose
- Highly selective adsorption of polyphenols
- A clean label
- Long shelf life and consistently high quality product
Divergan® is used for filtration and stabilization of beverages, and create stable, visually appetizing, long-lasting beers, wines, and beverages with an exquisite taste.
Divergan RS®: PVPP for use in Regenerable Processes
Divergan® RS: The Economical, Sustainable Choice
Divergan® RS was specifically developed for use in stabilization and regeneration plants. In normal practice, Divergan® RS is added to the beer from a separate metering vessel after diatomaceous earth (kieselguhr) filtration and separated from the beer in the PVPP filter. The regeneration subsequently occurs in this filter. The small losses arising from regeneration (approximately 1% or less) ensure very low beer stabilization costs. An optimal particle size distribution with low fine-grade fraction, the guaranteed low swelling volume, the high mechanical stability and a qualified technical on-site service ensures trouble-free filtration over an extended period.
Dosage Recommendation Divergan RS*
*The dosage depends on many factors, such as raw-material quality, cellar technology, pre-clarification, other stabilization methods, desired shelf life, etc...
Normal dosages, in the range of 20–50 g/hl, are recommended. With comparable colloidal stability, the PVPP dosage can be reduced to 15–40 g/hl with silica-gel pre-stabilization. Due to the generally lower polyphenol content, beers with approximately 30% raw-particle fraction require a lower PVPP dosage. When pre-stabilizing with, e.g., silica gel, 15–35 g/hl or 10–25 g/hl are generally sufficient.
Divergan® RS may be repeatedly used in the recycling filter with low loss rates.
For Clear and Tasty Beer and Wine: PVPP by BASF for stabilization
Divergan® adsorbs haze-forming polyphenols and thereby stabilizes beer and wine for long-lasting clarity. Divergan® is a cross-linked, insoluble polyvinylpyrrolidone, which is also known as PVPP. PVPP is unique in that it specifically adsorbs polyphenols responsible for turbidity, without concurrently altering the character of the beer.
You may be interested in
Disclaimer: The data contained in this publication are based on our current knowledge and experience. In view of the many factors that may affect processing and application of our product, these data do not relieve processors from carrying out their own investigations and tests; neither do these data imply any guarantee of certain properties, nor the suitability of the product for a specific purpose. Any descriptions, drawings, photographs, data, proportions, weights, etc. given herein may change without prior information and do not constitute the agreed contractual quality of the product. It is the responsibility of the recipient of our products to ensure that any proprietary rights and existing laws and legislations are observed.