Medical nutrition refers to a group of medical food products used under the supervision of health practitioners for the nutritional management of a condition or disease. Medical nutrition products address a distinct nutritional requirement and provide adequate amounts of nutrients to the specific patient group.
Ageing populations drive developments in medical nutrition, since many age-related conditions such as some forms of cancer, gastrointestinal diseases and various neuromuscular disorders require professional nutritional management. AIDS patients, individuals with severe anorexia nervosa and burn patients also profit from such nutritional intervention. Specific requirements for medical nutrition products are also derived from the growing group of people with metabolic disorders such as type 2 diabetes.
Medical nutrition products are available as enteral formulas ingested both orally, for example as beverages, foods or supplement-like formats, and via intubation. Oral ingestion is advantageous when nutrient supplements are necessary and both the digestive tract and the patient are capable of taking them. Tube feeding is indicated for patients who need supplements but cannot take nutrition orally.
- We have a deep understanding of the nutritional needs of specific patient groups.
- We are the only supplier with a unique history of longstanding food and pharma regulatory expertise.
- We are a key industry partner, with a broad portfolio of premium ingredients for medical nutrition formulations.
- We meet with our products the highest regulatory and quality requirements.
- We have more than 150 years’ experience in dietary supplements, food and beverage industry.
- We combine global expert knowledge with a deep understanding of local needs, preferences and habits in our Human Nutrition labs around the world.
The highest safety and quality requirements apply to the manufacturing of medical food products and their ingredients in order to protect these vulnerable patient groups. A specific regulatory environment also applies to the medical nutrition field.
We offer ingredients with health benefits, based on the most solid scientific foundations. Our premium vitamin products, Pronova Pure® - highly concentrated omega-3 fatty acids are health ingredients which are used in medical nutrition formulations. Our experts support you from consultation to implementation, letting you react quickly to changes in the market. Our Human Nutrition labs around the world combine global expert knowledge with a deep understanding of local needs, preferences and habits. We support our customers and partners with technical application service and development and tailor-made training in our Human Nutrition labs.
Disclaimer: Specific regulations in the respective countries on the ingredients used, for the intended use and claims made on the final product have to be observed.