Enhancing the Quality of Wines
Wine is one of the oldest and most exquisite alcoholic beverages – and consumers place high demands on it. We offer our customers products for wine stabilization that help create a wine with reduced polyphenol, haze and (heavy) metal content. This results e.g. in improved clarity, pure taste, and long shelf life.
The first step in judging wine is a critical look, since the eye takes part in the wine experience. It's no coincidence that the color and transparency of wines are often compared to rubies and gold. Consumers prefer pure, clear wines of high quality. Besides judging the wine with the eyes, the smell, taste and bouquet are also very important factors for the consumer in the assessment of a wine.
However, the enjoyment of wine, especially of white wines, can be diminished by brown or pink discolorations that occur during the vinification process and are caused in part by polyphenols. Moreover, off-flavors as well as metallic and bitter tastes can arise during the wine making process, caused in part by metal ions, especially iron and copper.
- Ensures the same taste, flavor, color clarity and quality around the world
- Our products are an eco-efficient, single-use solution that offers easy and safe handling and disposal
- Key industry partner to the beverage industry with more than 150 years experience
- Our products are completely separated from the wine during filtration and do not have to be declared on the label
- Wide range of health and performance products for the beverage industry, with support from consultation to implementation
- Globally linked application labs around the world
Polyphenols and many metal ions (copper, iron, aluminum, nickel, zinc, lead, chromium, manganese, cadmium and arsenic) can be found in raw materials such as grapes for wine production. In addition, copper is for example deliberately added to some wines in order to eliminate sulfide taint (“Böxer”).
Divergan®, developed by BASF, helps winemakers remove these compounds while at the same time providing flavor, color and colloidal stability as well as avoiding metallic bitterness, aging and oxidative changes. Divergan® F is an eco-efficient, single use solution that offers easy and safe handling and disposal.
BASF also offers potassium metabisulfite to the wine industry.
Disclaimer: Specific regulations in the respective countries on the ingredients used, for the intended use and claims made on the final product have to be observed.