We offer nutritional solutions for liver support. Discover how to create products that counteract the development of fatty liver.
Fatty liver disease is often associated with alcohol abuse. But, in fact, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) has become the most common liver ailment worldwide. It comprises a spectrum of conditions, ranging from simple steatosis to non-alcoholic steatohepatitis and cirrhosis of the liver. In western countries, it is also the most rapidly increasing cause of liver cancer.
This serious condition results from an imbalance between fat uptake, oxidation and export. It is commonly associated with obesity, diabetes and metabolic syndrome. Currently, there are no efficient means of treating steatosis or steatohepatitis. So, early prevention and liver support are essential.
- We are a key industry partner providing premium ingredients and vast experience for successful liver health products.
- We have a deep understanding of metabolic liver disease and the associated cardiovascular conditions.
- We offer premium, highly purified and concentrated omega-3 fatty acids with excellent bioavailability as well as vitamins E and D for liver health products.
- We deliver quality you can trust: our ingredients are pure and standardised, and meet the highest regulatory requirements.
- We offer unmatched service and support based on more than 150 years of experience and Human Nutrition labs all around the world.
What is non-alcoholic fatty liver disease? In short, NAFLD is characterized by the excess accumulation of hepatic fat –not caused by excessive alcohol consumption. That means a concentration of lipid droplets in more than 5% of liver cells in people who drink little or no alcohol. Today, NAFLD is one of the most common liver diseases worldwide and can progress to non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH).
The figures are alarming: according to estimates, up to 39% of people in western countries and some regions of China have developed NAFLD and up to 5% suffer from NASH. Every third NASH patient has advanced fibrosis, and every fifth develops cirrhosis. Many factors lead to the development of NAFLD, such as excessively fatty diets combined with insulin resistance, oxidative stress and innate immunity. It is associated with obesity, type 2 diabetes, dyslipidemia, metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease.
Most NAFLD patients are advised to eat healthily, increase their physical activity and, in many cases, lose weight. This improves liver enzyme levels and the organ’s overall histology. The situation is more alarming for NASH patients: there is no proven pharmacotherapeutic treatment. NASH patients with liver failure and/or hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) are candidates for liver transplantation. This is why early prevention with lifestyle changes and proper nutrition and supplements is crucial.
These Nutrients are essential for Liver Support
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids for liver health: The occurrence of NAFLD is associated with an excess of omega-6 and a deficiency of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) in the diet. Omega-3 fatty acids have a beneficial impact on high blood pressure, high blood lipid levels, endothelial dysfunction and cardiovascular disease. Studies indicate that supplementation with omega-3s lowers liver fat and blood lipid levels in patients with NAFLD. Many consumers are aware that these long-chain fatty acids are a vital part of healthy nutrition and offer protection against a wide array of health concerns at every life stage. As one of our premium omega-3 products, Hepaxa® is used for the dietary management of steatosis in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Vitamin E: Oxidative stress is considered to be a strong contributor to liver damage. Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that helps to prevent oxidative damage and is one of the most promising nutrients for patients with NAFLD.
- Vitamin D: Besides its effects on abdominal obesity and metabolic syndrome, low vitamin D levels are considered to be an independent risk factor with a direct influence on NAFLD. People, particularly men, with a vitamin D deficiency have an approximately 30% higher risk of developing NAFLD.
Premium Functional Ingredients and Services
Backed by 150 years of experience in human nutrition, we are a reliable partner when it comes to developing innovative and effective products for all life stages. We are committed to delivering premium quality ingredients and outstanding support.
In our Human Nutrition labs around the world, we offer product development or improvement, from concept to market launch and beyond. With sensorial and stability tests and technical support for a wide array of applications, our experts will be at your side.
Our vision is to provide the right nutrients to the right people at the right time.
Disclaimer: Specific regulations in the respective countries on the ingredients used, for the intended use and claims made on the final product have to be observed.