We deliver key ingredients for eye health and vision.
Acute vision is an essential aspect of quality of life at every age. But with ageing populations and many people spending hours in front of computer screens, eye health is a growing global concern.
Our diet is a major factor in keeping eyes healthy. Among the most important nutrients are vitamins A, D, B12 and omega-3 fatty acids, which are required for acute vision. Lutein and vitamin E help protect our eyes from the cell damage caused by sunlight, radiation and the blue light from digital devices. In particular, age-related conditions such as macular degeneration, cataract and glaucoma, and secondary conditions such as diabetic retinopathy, all need effective risk reduction – the earlier, the better.
With our innovative and science-based range of health ingredients, we help our customers to develop effective eye health products. According to our vision “delivering the right nutrients to the right people at the right time,” we focus on improving health and reducing risk of disease at all life stages.
- We deliver a convincing portfolio of effective nutrients, backed by science and driven by innovation, for successful eye health products.
- We ensure, with more than 150 years of experience in the dietary supplement, food and beverage industries, outstanding results for innovative new products and successful reformulations.
- We provide premium ingredients such as Xangold® lutein esters or Pronova Pure® omega-3 fatty acids. Our Lucarotin® beta-carotene and our performance vitamins are suitable to reduce the risk of eye diseases and impaired vision.
- We support our customers and partners around the world with unparalleled services in product development, formulation and regulatory advice.
- We are always close to our customers with our Human Nutrition labs and qualified teams.
Bioactive Nutrients for Acute Vision at all Life Stages
For work, play and an independent and fulfilled life, eye health and acute vision are essential. More than ever before, the modern world puts stress on our eyes: working days are mostly spent in front of computer screens and, even in our free time, we stare at smartphones, tablets and TVs. Contact lenses, air conditioning and environmental pollution are additional challenges – not to mention UV light and pollen.
The more we depend on our vision and the more stress we place on our eyes, the more we need to actively maintain our eye health. Contrary to popular belief, the need for eye health support begins early in life – before we’re even born. Only when all the necessary micronutrients are available in sufficient amounts healthy development is possible.
Even the risk of age-related diseases such as cataracts, glaucoma or macular degeneration can be reduced and disease progression can be slowed down. Beside refractive errors, they are the most common causes of impaired vision and even blindness in industrialized nations. And, with an increasing age of the global population, eye diseases and loss of vision represent increasing burdens on national health systems.
A healthier diet or supplementation with the right micronutrients, however, can reduce the risk of eye diseases and decreasing eyesight.
These Nutrients are essential for Eye Health
- Lutein: One of the most powerful nutrients for eye health is lutein. It selectively accumulates in the eye, at particularly high concentrations in the macula of the retina where light but also UV radiation hits the eye, and increases macular pigment density. Forming a protective shield, lutein helps to protect the eye against damage. As well as healthy people, patients who already suffer from age-related macular degeneration (AMD) can also benefit by improving their visual acuity and slowing down disease progression. Clinical studies with our Xangold® lutein esters have scientifically proven these effects (Murray IJ et al, 2013; Trieschmann M et al, 2007; Koh HH et al, 2004). Xangold® lutein esters are extracted from organic-certified marigold flowers, a well-known herbal plant with a long tradition in medical use. These purified lutein esters convince with excellent bioavailability (Bowen P et al, 2002).
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) In eye cells, it determines functionality and facilitates signaling and information transfer, ultimately enabling vision. Our Pronova Pure® products are highly concentrated and purified omega-3 fatty acids with superior bioavailability. Combined with lutein, they are powerful components in effective eye health formulas.
- Vitamin A and Beta-carotene: Vitamin A plays a vital role in the visual cycle. Consuming appropriate amounts, either preformed or as a pro-vitamin, is crucial for proper vision during the day and night.
- Vitamin E: Sunlight can damage sensitive cells. Vitamin E is a strong antioxidant and helps to reduce light- and oxidative stress-induced damage in the eye’s cell membranes. We can increase our vitamin E uptake by eating more nuts, seeds and plant oils. But most people do not manage to get enough vitamin E from their diet.
- Vitamin B12: Vitamin B12 is important for nerve function in the eye, enabling information transfer to the brain. It also helps to maintain low levels of homocysteine. This is important as high levels can damage the proteins and lipids found in eye cells. Vitamin B12 lowers the risk of cataract, AMD, glaucoma,retinopathy as well as optic atrophy and retinal vessel atherosclerosis.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D plays a specialized role: this micronutrient regulates cellular information flow in the eye. It is clearly related to the occurrence and severity of eye conditions such as glaucoma, retinopathy and age-related macular degeneration. Vitamin D occurs naturally in fatty fish, meats, some plants and mushrooms and can be produced in the skin. Sufficient sun exposure is essential to ensure appropriate vitamin D concentrations in the body. Owing to a combination of office jobs, sun avoidance, age, skin color and genetic factors, many people’s vitamin D levels are too low.
The Smart Way to a Healthier Life
With our Human Nutrition range, we offer first-class health ingredients for functional food and drinks, and for effective dietary supplements.
Backed by 150 years of tradition, we have accumulated considerable expertise, knowledge and experience in Human Nutrition. This ensures an easy path to innovative concepts and successful products with high market acceptance levels for our customers.
We are your reliable partner: by delivering premium quality and outstanding, comprehensive service, we help you to develop and market health products for all life stages. From consultancy to implementation and launch, the Human Nutrition expert team is always at your side and helps you to develop and market innovative products.
With our Human Nutrition labs around the world, we are always close to our customers and combine global expert knowledge with a deep understanding of local markets. Customers and partners also profit from technical application service and tailor-made training.
Would you like more scientific or product information about our Human Nutrition health ingredients, our labs or services? We are happy to help.
Disclaimer: Specific regulations in the respective countries on the ingredients used, for the intended use and claims made on the final product have to be observed.