Brain & Memory Support
Active Ingredients for Brain Health & Memory Support
Backed by science, we deliver ingredients for healthy cognitive function at all life stages
Good cognitive functionality is at the top of most people’s healthy ageing wish list. But focused concentration, mental energy and a good memory are increasingly important at all life stages: for school children, students and throughout our entire working life.
Accordingly, functional products for brain health and mental performance no longer target the “silver” demographic in isolation.
The global need for such products is rapidly growing: in the last 100 years, our lifestyles have changed significantly. Instead of earning a living from manual labor, we have become brain workers.
And in these stressed-out times of multitasking, an “always on” mentality and little recovery time, we need to protect our brain and maintain its cognitive function more than ever.
- We offer a comprehensive portfolio of service and ingredients, backed by science, for innovative brain health products.
- We develop effective formulations and successful product concepts. With more than 150 years of experience, we are at your service.
- We offer premium ingredients: Xangold® lutein esters from organic-certified marigold flowers, highly purified and concentrated Pronova Pure® omega-3 fatty acids, or excellent quality, high performance carotenoids and vitamins.
- We offer comprehensive services in our Human Nutrition Labs: initial concept and rapid product development, formulation improvement, analysis, tests and regulatory support – and much more.
Along with many other factors, mental energy needs the right vitamins and nutrients – in sufficient amounts. Vitamins A, D, E, and B, omega-3s, beta-carotene and lutein are required for brain function and help to protect the brain from damage.
Our mission statement says it all: providing the right nutrients to the right people at the right time. To reach this goal, we deliver premium quality health ingredients. We develop effective brain health concepts that combine many important vitamins and nutrients for dietary supplements, functional food and beverage applications and for medical nutrition solutions.
Plus, with more than 150 years of expertise, we offer valuable advice, unmatched support and regulatory consultancy.
Healthy Cognitive Function at all Life Stages: For better Performance and Quality of Life
Our brain never sleeps. It’s the body’s control center, for both physical function and cognitive processing, and also for our emotions and social behavior. This multitalented hard working organ needs a continuous supply of energy and micronutrients, such as omega-3 and vitamins. Brain support, be it with dietary supplements or functional foods and drinks, is not a question of age. Brain development begins in the unborn child. The first 1000 days of life are said to be absolutely crucial for the development of healthy mental and physical functions, and are influenced by both genetic factors and the provision of micronutrients during pregnancy.
Cognitive function and mental health relies on the complex interaction of many processes. Maintaining brain performance throughout the entire lifespan is a major challenge, and depends on social factors as well as a healthy diet. As we grow older, blood circulation and the supply of energy, oxygen and nutrients to the brain decreases, contributing to loss of concentration, cognition and memory. This is why aging is often associated with the development of cognitive impairment. Furthermore, the development of mild cognitive impairment (MCI), dementia, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease may be linked to our diet. But, with the right nutrients, we can influence some of the parameters that determine brain function and thus contribute to easier learning and healthy ageing.
These Nutrients Are Essential for Brain & Memory Support
- Omega-3 fatty acids: In the brain, omega-3s such as eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid (EPA and DHA) determine functionality and facilitate signaling and information transfer, which ultimately enables cognitive function. They interact with neurotransmitters such as serotonin, which determines emotions, mood and social behavior. Moreover, DHA, a very long chain omega-3, is an important building block for cell membranes.
Pronova Pure® is our premium, highly purified and concentrated source of omega-3. Its superior efficacy has been validated in several clinical trials. It is the perfect nutrient for brain health and memory support products for all life stages.
Our Pronova Pure® omega-3s are highly purified and available in a range of various concentrations and EPA-to-DHA ratios.
- Lutein: Lutein is the most prominent carotenoid in pediatric and adult brain tissue and helps to protect brain cells against oxidative damage.
The amount of lutein in the brain is related to processing speed, learning, memory and executive function.
With our premium Xangold® lutein esters, we offer valuable ingredients with excellent bioavailability for brain health formulas.
- Vitamin A and beta-carotene: Essential for brain development and function, vitamin A helps to control nerve cells and brain structure development. A lack of vitamin A may lead to neurodegeneration and the progression of Alzheimer's disease. Vitamin A is available preformed or as pro-vitamin beta-carotene.
- Vitamins B2, B5 and B12: Vitamin B2 and B5 are required as coenzymes to provide energy and act as building blocks for brain cells. Vitamin B12 is of fundamental importance to neuronal functionality and speed of information flow. It is also necessary for the synthesis of DNA and RNA in brain cells to maintain a constant renewal process.
About 10–30% of elderly people are at high risk of B12 deficiency: the ageing body reduces its uptake of vitamins and micronutrients. A lack of B12 can lead to anemia and cognitive decline.
- Vitamin D: This important micronutrient regulates cellular information flow in the brain and is essential for brain development, cognitive and psychological functions. Vitamin D is involved in the production of neurotransmitters such as serotonin, which determine emotions, mood and social behavior. A lack of vitamin D is often accompanied by symptoms of depression.
- Vitamin E: This powerful antioxidant helps to prevent oxidative damage in the brain’s cell membranes and contributes to the maintenance of cell membrane fluidity and signaling, which is crucial for brain function. Oxidative stress is considered to be a major contributor to neurodegeneration. Thus, vitamin E may promote cognitive performance and may lower the risk of age-related cognitive decline.
Performance products for a healthier life
Based on solid scientific foundations, we provide high-quality ingredients for brain and memory support. We offer ingredients and services that contribute to improved health and reduce the global disease risk in many societies. Backed by 150 years of human nutrition, science and product development expertise, we are a key industry partner for innovative health products. By delivering premium quality ingredients and outstanding support, we open the doors to a wide range of markets, all over the world.
In our Human Nutrition labs, customers can profit from development support, formulation improvement and product analysis. With our in-depth sector knowledge, from local to global and from initial idea to launch, we are the preferred partner you need to get your product to market in the shortest possible time.
Ask for more information about Human Nutrition health ingredients and scientific studies.
Disclaimer: Specific regulations in the respective countries on the ingredients used, for the intended use and claims made on the final product have to be observed.