Bone, Joint & Muscle Support
Mobility is essential for quality of life
An active lifestyle and pain-free mobility is essential for a high quality of life. What most people associate with getting old is when movement hurts, when loss of muscle power restricts activity and when osteoporosis makes bones brittle. In a growing number of countries, the average life expectancy is 80 years and more. But, the older we get, the more we need to support our skeletal system, joints and muscles. With the right nutrition and targeted exercise, we can set a course for healthy and active aging.
And it’s not just a “silver” generation condition. Many people feel the first signs of deterioration in their forties with, perhaps, just a pinch in the knees. Furthermore, sportspeople or those who are overweight or obese put an extra burden onto their bones and joints. The dreaded sarcopenia begins from the age of 50, when people lose 1-2% of their muscle mass every year. By the age of 60, the loss rates increase to 3% per year. So, if we want to enjoy the last third of our lives in a healthy condition, and if we want to remain mobile and strong, we need to focus on the musculoskeletal system.
For good reason, there is a huge and growing market for joint, muscle and bone health products. With our approach of providing the right nutrients to the right people at the right time, we aim to contribute to active, healthy and pain-free lives.
And it’s never too early to start thinking about musculoskeletal health: the cornerstones for strong bones are laid in early childhood.
- We offer a portfolio reflecting healthy musculoskeletal system products includes Tonalin® Conjugated Linoleic Acid for muscle gain and fat loss, Pronova Pure® omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins D3 and K1, which are essential for bone health.
- Our health ingredients meet the highest regulatory and quality requirements.
- We are a key industry partner for product development and reformulation in the fields of dietary supplements, functional food and medical nutrition – with more than with 150 years of expertise.
- We bring your concepts to life – and quickly to market with our complete package of first-class ingredients and all-round support.
- We are always close to our customers: in our Human Nutrition labs around the globe, our qualified teams offer product development, technical support and tailored training.
High Quality Ingredients for Healthy Joints, Robust Bones and Strong Muscles
Active and mobile with health ingredients
Life means physical activity: whether it’s those first steps as a child, the wedding dance, hiking with friends, playing outside with grandchildren or enjoying travel, we are made for movement. But mobility and strength decrease with the passing years. As long as we can run, walk or climb stairs, though, we don’t really feel old, no matter what our passport says. This changes when every step hurts.
When we talk about healthy aging, the maintenance of muscle, bone and joint health, along with cardiovascular and cognitive support, are key concerns.
Bones and muscles are formed during the first weeks in the unborn child. At this early stage, and during childhood and adolescence, the right nutrients are required in sufficient quantities to ensure healthy development. Rickets, for example, is a serious disease caused by nutritional deficiencies in childhood.
Bones are a “bank”
Normally, bones finish growing by the age of 19. By then, 90% of peak bone mass has been “deposited.” The bone mineral density acquired at that time subsequently affects our skeletal health for the rest of our lives. As adults, most of us pay far too little attention to bone, muscle and joint health – besides the increasing numbers of sportspeople who want to avoid injuries or suffer from excessive wear symptoms and actively look out for appropriate support products.
When the body starts to send the first signals of age, joint and bone health and muscle maintenance suddenly come back into focus – albeit often very late.
Timely nutritional support, combined with a healthy diet and exercise, could help to slow down the degeneration of the musculoskeletal system. Accordingly, the risk of osteoporosis, sarcopenia and arthritis can be lowered.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Omega-3 fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid (EPA and DHA) have a strong systemic anti-inflammatory effect. This is why they have been the subject of several musculoskeletal health studies. There is evidence that EPA and DHA also contribute to joint health. Emerging scientific studies also suggest an impact on muscle growth and maintenance in younger adults. Our Pronova Pure®omega-3s are highly purified and available in a range of various concentrations and EPA-to-DHA ratios.
- Tonalin® Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA): Fighting sarcopenia, the age-related loss of muscle mass, is highly relevant for healthy aging. Maintaining or increasing muscle mass is essential. Tonalin® Conjugated Linoleic Acid is a stimulant-free nutrient. It helps to increase lean muscle mass and, at the same time, promotes fat loss.
- Vitamin D3: Vitamin D3 regulates calcium absorption and plays a crucial role in life-long skeletal health. It’s also important for muscle health. The so called “sunshine vitamin” is produced in the skin, provided it is exposed to sunlight. In many countries, especially those with an “indoor lifestyle”, the majority of people are at risk of suboptimal levels or even a deficiency.
- Vitamin K1: Vitamin K is also essential for proper bone health. This biological catalyst is required to bind calcium to specific proteins that play an integral role in bone growth.
High quality health ingredients and excellent services
With our vast human nutrition experience, our expertise covers innovative dietary supplements, functional foods & beverages, and medical nutrition. First-class products, a wealth of knowledge, technical expertise and a comprehensive service package make us a key industry partner for companies who want to provide high quality bone, joint and muscle support products.
Our Human Nutrition experts offer service and support from concept to implementation, getting client products to market quicker and keeping them one step ahead of the competition. Wherever you are, we provide expert support and tailor-made training in our Human Nutrition labs. Being present in so many places around the world, we understand local needs and preferences.
Would you like more scientific or product information about our Human Nutrition health ingredients, our labs or services? We are happy to help.
Disclaimer: Specific regulations in the respective countries on the ingredients used, for the intended use and claims made on the final product have to be observed.