Driven by innovation and backed by science, we make your products heart healthy
A healthy heart and blood vessels need the right nutrition and an active lifestyle. But our lives and habits have changed – and so have our diets. As a result, cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) such as coronary heart disease, peripheral vascular diseases and stroke are the number one cause of death, globally.
With bioactive ingredients and smart formulations, we contribute to heart-healthy diets worldwide. We offer high quality omega-3 oils, plant sterols, the powerful antioxidant vitamin E and carotenoids, as well as vitamins D, B12 and K, all of which are known to support a healthy cardiovascular system. Thus supplementation with the right nutrients can protect millions of hearts around the globe.
Be it in dietary supplements, in functional or medical food or beverage products, we develop holistic concepts that help people to maintain a healthy diet and support an active lifestyle. With more than 150 years of expertise, we are your preferred partner for all aspects of developing and marketing heart-healthy products, including regulatory support.
- Phytosterols: Plant sterols, or phytosterols, lower blood cholesterol levels and support a healthier heart and blood vessels. Their mode of action is quite clever: phytosterols reduce blood cholesterol through competition with intestinal cholesterol absorption, interference with transport and stimulation of cholesterol excretion. In contrast to statins plant sterols are natural and can easily be incorporated into everyday foods. Moreover, phytosterols have a mode of cholesterol lowering that is complementary to statins. The conclusion of more than 100 scientific studies shows that only 1.5–3.0g of plant sterols per day can reduce harmful LDL-cholesterol levels by up to 12%. Numerous clinical studies have shown that Vegapure® plant sterol esters lower blood cholesterol levels effectively and safely.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid (EPA and DHA) omega-3 fatty acids are important guardians of a healthy heart, lowering triglyceride levels and inflammation which is a key factor in the progression of atherosclerosis. Consumers around the globe are now aware that these long-chain fatty acids are a vital part of healthy nutrition and offer protection against a wide array of health concerns at every life stage. A sufficient intake of EPA and DHA can reduce the risk of atherosclerosis. Pronova Pure® is our range of premium, highly purified and concentrated omega-3 products. Its superior bioavailability and efficacy have been validated in several clinical trials.
- Vitamin B12: Vitamin B12 plays a vital role in cardiovascular health: it reduces homocysteine levels, which is a major risk factor for the development of atherosclerosis. For vegetarians and vegans in particular, B12 supplementation is important.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D insufficiency is associated with an increased risk of coronary heart disease, peripheral vascular disease and cardiac events. Studies suggest that regular vitamin D supplementation plays a key role in maintaining cardiovascular health.
- Vitamin K: Vitamin K not only controls blood coagulation, it also inhibits the calcification and stiffening of blood vessel walls. As such, it helps to prevent the development of atherosclerosis and keeps blood vessels smooth and flexible.
- Vitamin E and carotenoids: Antioxidants are a vital part of a healthy nutrition. They help protect the cells from damage. Vitamin E and carotenoids display strong antioxidative effects and can prevent LDL-cholesterol oxidation. Oxidized LDL promotes the development of cardiovascular diseases. It has been shown in large observational studies that the intake of high levels of vitamin E and carotenoids correlates with lower heart disease rates. Covitol® is our naturally sourced vitamin E. Carotenoids such as beta-carotene, lutein and lycopene are potent antioxidants and inhibit certain inflammatory processes.They help to protect vessel walls.
Cardiovascular Risk Factors
Cardiovascular disease risk factors, which include hypertensive heart disease, atherosclerosis, coronary heart disease or peripheral vascular disease, can lead to heart failure, lethal heart attacks, thrombosis, lung embolism and strokes.
These conditions are not only age-related: more and more younger people are suffering from cardiovascular health concerns. According to the World Health Organization, CVDs are the number one cause of death worldwide. The good news is that a healthier lifestyle and an appropriate diet can significantly reduce the risk and even improve the condition of those already affected.
Lowering The Risk Factors
For example, a 40-year-old man who reduces his LDL-cholesterol level by 10% also reduces his risk of heart disease by an impressive 50%. Starting at the age of 60, he will reduce his risk by 25%. To reduce the risk of developing coronary diseases or stroke, LDL-cholesterol levels should be monitored and managed from an early age.
Health Ingredients for Cardiovascular Support
With our unique range of health ingredients, we support the development of heart healthy supplements and food. Backed by science and expert knowledge, we help manufacturers around the globe to develop and market innovative and effective products. Our mission is to provide the right nutrients to the right people at the right time.
The Smart Way to a Healthier Life
With our premium health ingredients, we offer an easy approach to manufacturing dietary supplement, functional food and medical nutrition products. All of these ingredients can be easily incorporated into various formulations and delivery forms.
With more than 150 years experience in the human nutrition industry, we are a reliable partner when it comes to developing innovative and effective products for all life stages. We are committed to delivering premium quality and outstanding support.
In our Human Nutrition labs around the world, we offer a range of comprehensive services: from initial concept to rapid product development or improvement, and from sensorial and stability tests to regulatory backing until final market launch and beyond. With technical support for a wide array of applications, our experts will be at your side every step of the way.
Disclaimer: Specific regulations in the respective countries on the ingredients used, for the intended use and claims made on the final product have to be observed.